ATTENTION
The Limerick NewsWire Blog has moved to a new address. Join us now at
www.LimerickNewsWire.com

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Frankie Ryan murder trial underway

After months and months of delays, the trial of a Limerick man accused of murder finally got underway in Dublin Wednesday.

A Jury was sworn in Monday at the Central Criminal Court at Cloverhill Courthouse for the trial of Gary Campion of Pineview Gardens. The 25 year old is charged with the brutal murder of 21 year old `Fat` Frankie Ryan in the Moyross estate almost two and a half years ago.

Mr. Campion has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Mr. Ryan which occurred on the 17th of September 2006 when Ryan was shot twice in the head as he sat in his car.

As the trial got underway Wednesday, the prosecution began outlining its case reminding the jury that although the victim of the savage murder was not an angel, “that did not matter, he had a right to life as everyone has in this country”. It’s understood prosecution intends to call an eyewitness to the murder who is willing give evidence in court. The young man was reportedly in the passenger seat of the car when the shooting occured.

Prosecuting counsel Aileen Donnelly told of how the victim, ‘Frankie’ was killed in an “execution-style killing”. She said he had been taking people for a spin around the Pineview Gardens estate that night and claimed one of the people who got into the back of the car was the defendant Gary Campion.

The prosecution then says Mr. Campion proceeded to open fire on Frankie shooting him in the back of the head from the rear seat before leaving the car and shooting him again from the front through the windscreen.

The trial continues and is expected to last around 6 weeks.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Return to Main Page